I start by taking people along a historical journey by referring to a few passages from scripture to show how humanity has always been in a conversation with God, but that its mostly been on ‘mute!’ So how can we learn to hear from God when we have been switched off from hearing his voice? God is talking with us, but are we listening? – Let’s begin with what we know. Open God’s Word (his already spoken word) & learn to listen to the inspiration of His Spirit within us:
“Be still and know that I am God.” – Psalm 46:10
“I cry aloud to God; he hears me.” – Psalm 77:1
“We have seen this day that God speaks with man.” – Deut.5:24
“Hear the word which the Lord speaks to you.” – Jer.10:1
“Behold, the days are coming, when I will send a famine on the land. Not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord.” – Amos 8:11
“In the past, God spoke to our ancestors many times and in many ways through the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us through his Son.” – Hebrews 1:1
“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me.” – John 10:27
“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” – Rom.10:17
This is pretty much the outline of how I teach a person to become open to hearing and seeing God. Jesus chastised his critics with their inability to hear or see “lest they turn and see and hear” with the resulting connection to healing (see: Rom.11:8&10; Luke 19:42; John 14:17; Acts 28:27; John12:40 – Isaiah 6:10).
You can begin this simple practice for yourself right now …
- Be still (find a quiet place, no disturbances, no distractions, closed eyes)
- Take a Bible verse with you into your quiet moment (reflect on its meaning for you right now as God’s word)
- Give expression to your thoughts (even write them down on a note book as you remember all the things you still have to do – thank God for reminding you of them! Be honest & real about what’s on your heart)
- Invite Jesus to come and visit you in your prayer (allow for Jesus to come into your thoughts with something specific and special for you)
- Imagine Jesus meeting with you: ‘as a friend speaking with a friend’
- Ask Jesus to speak his wisdom for your need (be ready to receive revelation through vision, or dream-like pictures, or a word of encouragement).
- Thank Jesus for his word (then write it down – and keep on praying about it)
Hope this gives you a start to hear and see.
Pastor Dirk Willner (www.nearheaven.org)